One of our 2011 grant recipients, Mobule is going to be touring beginning in Paris, opening the FUTUR EN SEINE FESTIVAL, on June 19th. Then on to Barcelona, London, New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The Mobule is a travelling video sculpture that passes on recorded 'messages of love' from one city's citizens to those of the next. This eight-foot balloon appears at night in public streets. Illuminated from within, it displays a video projection of a large eye. The eye searches and focuses on passers by, selects individuals and pursues them. Once in proximity of the individual, a recorded message from another individual, from the previous city of the tour, appears in the eye. Once the individual receives the message, he/she is invited to wear the 'space helmet' that controls the eye. The mystery of how the Mobule operates is revealed, and the individual may control its next interaction. Participants are also then invited to leave a video message for the next city's residents. The Mobule is scheduled to tour Paris, Barcelona, London, New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Tour Schedule: Save the dates! More details TBA!
- Paris: Esplanade du Trocadero, July 7 - 8, 2011, from 9pm to
- Barcelona: Location TBD, July 21 - 22, 2011, from 9pm to midnight
- London: Tate Modern, August 4 - 5, 2011, from 9pm to midnight
- NYC: Location TBD, August 18 - 19, 2011, from 9pm to midnight
- Los Angeles: Location TBD, August 25 - 26, 2011, from 9pm to
- San Francisco: Location TBD, September 8 - 9, 2011, from 9pm to
- Miami: Location TBD, September 15 - 16, 2011, from 9pm to midnight
The Mobule is seeking more venues and events to visit. Please contact
the artist if you know of any opportunities or venues in the times
and locations listed above.
The Mobule will need volunteers for the following locations!
- London: Tate Modern, August 4 - 5, 2011
- NYC: Location TBD, August 18 - 19, 2011
- Los Angeles: Location TBD, August 25 - 26, 2011
- San Francisco: Location TBD, September 8 - 9, 2011
- Miami: Location TBD, September 15 - 16, 2011
For each location, the project needs:
- A local manager to:
* Suggest the best area of the city to present the show
* Ask for authorizations for such street performance
* PR staff to promote the Mobule to local and national media
- 2 volunteers to manage the audience during the art performance
- Accommodation to put up 2 operators during 6 nights
Read about the Mobule on artist Ludale's website at www.ludale.fr
Or read about Mobule in the Design Milk blog:
See prototypes of Mobule here: bit.ly/kc9uje
Contact the artist at firstname.lastname@example.org
I am so excited I am going to get to see this in San Francisco and I will be looking forward to seeing what New York City has to say to San Francisco. We hope you will follow its tour and check it out if it is coming to your town.